03 September 2008

I Get It...

So, now that Mason is 2 1/2....I understand the following over-used mommy phrases:

BECAUSE I SAID SO! After being so proud of myself for responding with patient, informative answers every time Mason asks WHY??....after the 400th WHY?? of the day, I just can't help but use this time-tested response. I was so excited when Mason started asking me WHY?? I thought, "Wow! He wants to understand the world he lives in...." And, "I get to be his teacher...." But, after having observed this phenomenon for more than a month now, I have to say that most of the time I don't think Mason really wants to know WHY? I also don't think he appreciates my creative, well-thought-out responses. So it really does take all I have to bite my tongue...so that this doesn't come out every time I hear WHY?!

I'LL GIVE YOU SOMETHING TO CRY ABOUT...Oh....what a hateful line...what cruel, cruel parent would say this to their sweet child?? ...especially when their own flesh and blood is crying? Well, I am shamed to admit that I may have said this a time or two in the past several days...when crying and whining become a 2 1/2 year old's favorite manipulation tool and it seems to be all you hear all day long...when patience is wearing thin at the end of the day...when you've given all you have all day long for this tiny creature...when you've skipped your shower to play cars, when you've skipped your lunch to read him extra books for nap time, when you've decided to take him to the park instead of going to the grocery store, when you've wiped his butt more times than you can remember...when it is that fake, no-tears-louder than necessary-dramatic cry, you just want them to understand that you really could give them something to cry about.....and it really does take all you have to refrain from shaking them and saying this....

1 comment:

Lady A said...

hmmm - I can't wait to see him soon!